- The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or a familiar place.
- 77% of bites come from the family or friend’s dog.
- In kids under 4 years half the time (47%) the attacker was the family dog.
- 44,000 facial bites are reported each year in the U.S.
- Kids (especially boys) between 5 and 9 years have the highest incident rate.
- The odds that the bite victim will be a child are 3 : 1.
- 77% of injuries to kids under 10 years are to the face.
- Any breed of dog can bite.
- The list of “dangerous” dog breeds changes yearly depending on the popularity of the breed.
Help your kids learn to avoid dog bites with Martina’s “Safety Around Dogs” Kids’ workshop.